Community Services & Religious Institutions
In service to the residents of University Hill and beyond, the area is home to a number of community service organizations. The Hill community remains committed to providing assistance to those in need, and has developed a variety of programs to fulfill this goal.
Housing Visions is a community-based not-for-profit organization working to revitalize and sustain neighborhoods through a comprehensive approach that improves quality of life. Housing Visions was formed as a not-for-profit in 1990 to improve both the quality of housing and the quality of life in the Greater East Genesee Street neighborhood of Syracuse, and to create a model for the revitalization of other neighborhoods. Its charter later expanded to include additional census tracks in Syracuse’s east side.
As of June, 2009, HVU has completed 525 housing units and has 223 units under construction, for a total 748 units in seven different cities with a total investment of $153 million. Visit www.housingvisions.org for more information.
Planned Parenthood is a private, not-for-profit organization that provides comprehensive reproductive and related health-care and counseling services, educational and training programs that enhance understanding of sexuality, reproduction and parenting, and advocacy for public policies which guarantee reproductive rights and assure access to health care.
The Center is located at 1120 E. Genesee Street in a renovated and expanded Victorian building. Clinic services include gynecological care, contraceptive counseling, and complete reproductive services for women and men. All services are fully confidential, offered by a sensitive, courteous, professional staff. Click here for more information.
Ronald McDonald House Charities of Central New York is a non-profit organization that operates the Central New York Ronald McDonald House, a “home away from home” for families of children with serious illnesses being treated at local hospitals and medical centers. Located at 1100 East Genesee Street, the house features an elevator, guest rooms with private baths, a large family centered kitchen, family dining areas, an education and resource library, a community room, and a gated outdoor play area – all in a welcoming and calm atmosphere intended to bring comfort to guest families. The Central New York Ronald McDonald House has hosted more than17,000 families from 48 counties in New York State, 45 other states, and various countries since opening its doors on Thanksgiving Day in 1982.
For more information, go to www.cnyronaldmcdonaldhouse.org.
SUNY Upstate’s “Sarah Loguen Child Care Center,” located less than one mile from campus at 650 South Salina Street, is a nationally-accredited day care center. It serves children of students, employees, and faculty of SUNY Upstate Medical University. The center is licensed for 46 children, ages 6 weeks to 5 years old. The music program is one of the highlights of the center, as well as indoor and outdoor facilities for learning and play.
Syacuse University’s Child Care Center provides day care services to the children of students, staff, and faculty of Syracuse University. It is located on the South Campus in buildings M-O and M-I Lambreth Lane, with the two buildings connected by a walkway. The center offers a responsive, developmental full-day program during the academic year and summer sessions. The facilities feature spacious classrooms with separate areas for eating, napping, and outdoor activities. Programs are offered for three groups; infant (2-8 month olds), toddler (18 month olds to 3 year olds) and multi-age (3 year olds to 5 year olds).
Religious Institutions & Places of Worship
A wide variety of religious institutions serves the diverse needs of Hill residents. These houses of worship play an important role in the spiritual and social life of the Hill community.
Temple Concord is the oldest Jewish congregation in Syracuse, established in 1839. The Temple’s first religious services were held in a store at the present site of the State Tower Building. The current Temple, located at the corner of University Avenue and Madison Street, was dedicated in 1911. In addition to a beautiful sanctuary for worship, the Temple offers a variety of facilities. The Benjamin M. Berinstein Memorial Chapel provides a place of intimacy and inspiration for congregations, the Ives and Lillian Jacobs Social Hall provides a spacious and modern meeting room, and the Temple Library is a well-stocked research and lending facility containing the largest collection of Judaica in Central New York. The Temple also houses the largest religious school in the community. Today, over 750 families are members of the congregation.
Grace Episcopal Church is located on the corner of University Avenue and Madison Street. It was founded in 1867 and designed by Horatio Nelson White. Grace Episcopal is dedicated to providing spiritual and community services, such as their active involvement in organizing a food pantry and clothing outlet. In addition to Sunday services, Sunday School, youth groups, Bible study, and a book club provide additional education and enrichment opportunities. Grace Episcopal and the congregation are an integral part of the University Hill community.
University United Methodist Church has served the Hill community for more than a century. Located at 1085 East Genesee Street, the cornerstones of the building were laid in 1871. The stained glass windows depicting the life of Christ, which surround the church’s sanctuary, are among the most beautiful in the Central New York region.
The congregation of University United Methodist Church is actively involved in a vast array of community outreach ventures. The church hosts a variety of organizations for its members, as well as support and service networks for persons with special needs. The church building is home to community programs, including Near Eastside Adventures, Onondaga Pastoral Counseling Center, Neighborhood Linking, The Urban League of Onondaga County, Kids Unlimited Day Care, Project Connection (of Peace, Inc.), Big Brothers, Big Sisters, and Signature Syracuse. Monetary and food donations by church members support a food closet, which works with local agencies to distribute food to persons in need. As part of a community-wide effort, the church’s “sandwich brigade” prepares and distributes food to Hopps Memorial C.M.E. Church. A Habitat for Humanity Task Group actively supports the work of Syracuse Habitat for Humanity. The church’s Creation Stewardship Team works for an environmentally just world in promoting a series of specialized initiatives. Adult Special Education Classes address the needs of disabled members of the community.
University United Methodist Church extends outreach efforts throughout the world. Global activities include participation in the annual CROP Hunger Walk, sponsorship of refugees, support of a medical missionary in Nepal, a school for Arab teenagers on the West Bank, and a member serving as a full-time Habitat for Humanity volunteer in Haiti. Through these and other efforts, the University United Methodist Church seeks to meet the needs of its members, the Hill neighborhood, and persons throughout the world.
Hendrick’s Chapel, constructed in 1929 through a gift from Senator Francis Hendricks, is located on the central quad of the Syracuse University Campus. The Chapel seats 1,450 under its 90-foot rotunda. Hendricks is an interfaith chapel that accommodates virtually all of the world’s religions. The major chaplaincies include Assemblies of God, Episcopal (Anglican), Evangelical Christian, American Baptist, United Presbyterian, United Methodist, United Church of Christ, Islamic, Jewish, Lutheran, Roman Catholic, and Southern Baptist denominations. The Hillel campus ministry is the largest in the United States and serves the Syracuse University Jewish community, which is approximately 25% of the student body. The Muslim Student Association is the largest of the international ministries. Other affiliated groups and ministries operating through Hendricks Chapel include Alcoholics Anonymous, Alpha Phi Omega, Athletes in Action, Baha’i Student Organization, B.A.S.I.C. College Ministries, S.U. Buddhist Association, Campus Bible Fellowship, Campus Crusade for Christ, Chabad House, Chi Alpha Christian Ministries, Chinese Christian Fellowship, Christian Science organization, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, First Unitarian Universalist Society of Syracuse, InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, Jewish Student Union, Korean Student Fellowship, Pan Orthodox Christian Fellowship, Society of Friends, and Zen Center of Syracuse
Alibrandi Catholic Center & the St. Thomas More Campus Ministry is located at 110 Walnut Place. Provided by the St. Thomas More Foundation, the Center serves the Roman Catholic students at Syracuse University and the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry – approximately 42% of the student body. Catholic Campus Ministry was founded in 1906 by Syracuse University. St. Thomas More Chapel and Center was opened on the site in 1938. The John G. Alibrandi, Jr. Catholic Center addition to St. Thomas More opened in 1982, made possible by a donation from the John G. Alibrandi Family. Also known as the Newman Center and St. Thomas More Chapel, Alibrandi Catholic Center provides spiritual, service, cultural, educational, and social activities for the Roman Catholic Community and others at the University.
Winnick Hillel Center for Jewish Life, at 102 Walnut Place, is the central address for serving the Jewish community on campus, as well as offering cultural programs for the community at large. Students are encouraged to participate in community service programs, social action, athletics, social and cultural events, Jewish studies, Birthright Israel, Shabbat, and holiday celebrations. This 16,000-square-foot state-of-art facility serves 3,000 Jewish students on the Syracuse University campus and provides programs and services for the Syracuse Jewish community and the community at large. This magnificent three-story building includes a fitness center, multipurpose auditorium (seating capacity of 200), game room and lounge, meeting rooms, administrative and student offices and work areas, library, and supervised kosher dining facility with meat and dairy kitchens.