Named for Joshua Forman, one of the founders of Syracuse, Forman Park is a 1.3 acre park located in between East Genesee Street, Almond Street, and Forman Avenue. The park was declared a public park in 1839 when one of Forman’s friends, Lewis Hamilton Redfield, donated some of his land on East Genesee Street. In 1908, a statue was erected in honor of the two men.
Forman Park also contains a Syracuse Police Memorial. The three stones that comprise the monument are inscribed with the words Dedication, Sacrifice and Tradition and list the names of Syracuse Police Officers who have lost their lives in the line of duty. Syracuse oldest tree is housed in Forman Park. The white swamp oak is over 60 feet tall and more than 100 years old.